Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Totally Awkward Tuesday!

What better way to kick off my first Tuesday blog entry than participating in Tova Darling's Totally Awkward Tuesdays.?
Just think of an awkward story that has happened to you, share it, and link to her blog so we can all relish in each other's awkwardness. Tova may have me beat at awkward stories, but here's one that was pretty mortifying at the time:


Back in my younger adolescent years, which were incredibly awkward in every way to begin with, I had a pretty major crush on a boy my age in the youth group. It may have been the biggest crush of my childhood, and I'm ashamed to admit, it lasted for at least three unrequited years. Despite the fact that he had made no attempts whatsoever to show me that he might like me in any way, I was convinced that there was a chance.

Our youth group was headed out on a week-long trip to enjoy some time in closer-than-usual quarters to get to know each other better, get closer to God, and enjoy the whole "community" feeling of the youth group.

On the charter bus for the 8 plus hours it took to get to our final destination, I strategically placed my seat behind his for optimum proximity without seeming overly eager to sit by him (I had it all figured out). His direct seatmate, a male friend of mine, was well aware of my crush on his friend and considerably jealous, as I found out later. Because of my impeccable seat choice, I became a front row audience to my so-called friend revealing to my crush that, not only did I like him, but I was very stupid for doing so because my crush would obviously never like me back. In reply, instead of saying, "no, she isn't stupid, in fact I'm madly in love with her," as I'd hoped, my crush just laughed and agreed. It was horrible, especially when you add in the fact that the youth group was spending the whole week "getting to know each other better," which meant facing both of them all day, every day, for the next seven days! Needless to say, I'm more than thrilled that those days are part of the past!

Enjoy your Awkward Tuesdays!

3 comments:

Ebony said...

Awww. Boys will be boys. Who knows, maybe he did like you back but didn't want admit it in front of his friends? But as you say, it's in the past...

Diane J. said...

Ouch! That's pretty awkward. I agree with Ebony, I bet he did like you, but was too spineless to admit it.

la aventurista said...

Yeahhh...that was one of my worst early experiences with guy haha, definitely glad it's over!