Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Don't Like Chick Flicks...

You what? That's right, I don't like chick flicks. I just don't. I'm all for love and romance, and I think it's a wonderful thing, but there are very few full-fledged chick flicks that I appreciate. I'm not sure exactly why, aside from the fact that love usually is not the way it's portrayed in movies and many movies portray it in a very unrealistic light. Sometimes that's great and I'm all for it, but most of the time it doesn't work for me. Many people think this is really strange, and I think even my boyfriend wishes that I would drag him to a few so that he could complain about it later, but that's just the way it is. However, I do have a small list of a few that I actually enjoy.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You -- The classic high school romance/comedy, based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," and starring Heath Ledger pre-Brokeback, so what's not to love? It's pretty hilarious (which can make anything bearable)and I first saw it when I was pretty young, so there are good memories attached and all of that.

2. A Lot Like Love -- This one wasn't especially popular, but I really liked it. Not your average love story, but it is really funny and a has a little bit of a "different" feel to it, so it's not just your typical, utterly predictable, boy-meets-girl-fall-in-love-happily-ever-after movie. Plus Ashton Kutcher just cracks me up.

3. Any of your 80s teen movies (ie- The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Say Anything)-- All classics about life for the American teenager and impossible to hate. I'm not sure if they even qualify as chick flicks, but I've been told that they do, so I'm going with it.

And now I can also add

4. Definitely Maybe -- I just saw this a few nights ago, even though it came out a while ago and I liked it a lot! I didn't hear anything about it, which usually indicates a movie that's not really worth seeing, but it's really cute, atypical plot, and I liked the not-so-predictable ending. Plus, there's an adorable reference to penguins and Ryan Reynolds surprisingly doesn't do too bad of a rendition of one of Nirvana's classics (don't worry, he only sings one line of "Come As You Are"). Any movie where Ryan Reynolds and Kurt Cobain can coexist peacefully is okay by me! Plus, Abigail Breslyn is adorable and the soundtrack is pretty awesome.

I'll let you know if I can think of any others, but honestly that's all I can come up with right now. What's your favorite genre or movie?

3 comments:

JenJen said...

I don't know if it qualifies as a "chick flick" but Just Married is one of my FAVES. It is with Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher and I laughed so hard I cried.

Ebony said...

I love the Notebook. My cousin's all, "I don't see what's so great about that movie." But I just love it. It's so sweet. :)

la aventurista said...

Jen--I thought Just Married was hysterical...Ashton Kutcher is so funny. And Ebony, you're right, I totally forgot to put the Notebook on my list but it's incredibly sweet.